For all my family and friends far away who want to see me and watch me grow!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, May 20, 2011

An Ode to Mommy

What a crazy few weeks we've had!!  I just wanted to tell everyone how relieved I am that mom is FINALLY feeling better after several doctor's appointments including a visit to the radiologist and breast surgeon.  I will definitely remember everything she did for me in these past 6 weeks when I'm older and embarrassed to go places with her!  Here's what happened to my wonderful, beautiful, loving, and amazing mommy (and I promise it's me writing this, not her!):

Last week mom knew something was wrong because one of my milkshakes was bright red, hard and extremely painful.  The brilliant lactation consultants said "wow, that looks painful.  Maybe you should try an epsom salt bath."  Mom thought that was the most ridiculous advice ever so she called her dr who told her to come in immediately.  The OB knew something was wrong and told mom if it got any worse to call and head to the hospital immediately...yikes!  Mom then went to a radiologist who found two abscesses which was what caused all the redness/inflammation and pain.  Once he removed them, she felt better!  She then had follow up visits with her OB and a breast surgeon to make sure she was doing better, and thankfully she is!  At her drs visit yesterday she learned that less than 1% of breastfeeding women get abscesses, her doctor sees them maybe once a year, and the lactation consultant has only worked with 3 women with abscesses in the past 15 years.  That mom of mine is one in a million!

Everything is going great now- I'm eating like a champion and most importantly, Mom is feeling much better!  Thank you, Mommy!  I love you!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. You are AMAZING Laurie! I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Alexis will thank you someday when she's super smart and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOO glad you are feeling better!! Alexis is lucky to have such an amazing and STRONG woman like you in her life to look up to! :) You should be so proud of yourself for sticking out these past few weeks. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Laurie!!! I can't even imagine how painful that is. Hope things get better!

    ReplyDelete